Monday, April 13, 2009

Dinner with the Family

Imagine that you are going to your family dinner for Easter. At that dinner you will face those relatives who seem to critique every thing you do, whether you ask for it or not. You already worry over the details: Does my shirt fit right, does my hair look okay, are my children clean enough, did I burn the baked beans?
Now imagine my situation. My cousin's husband is Matt Lumpkin, comedian, House of Blues, CMT, Comedy Zone. Matt is considered as southern and intelligent, which translates for many into "smartass". Matt is forever using his material on the family. He tries to make someone else look bad in order to make himself look funny. I am paralized with fear in front of him because I am afraid I am going to become the butt of his next material.
At dinner on Sunday, I was commenting to my sister about how loudly our children were talking at their "kids table". "No wonder they put our reject table in the other room, if we were that loud." Matt's quick response was, "I thought it would have been from the smell."
OUCH! Where did that come from?
Not to be outdone, I very cooly replied, "You know, we did play in the pig barn alot!"

1 comment:

Gin said...

Pig barn??!!! Not to be confused with the stinky chicken houses I have to deal with at my parents!!!