Thursday, February 18, 2010

A LENTEN JOURNEY

In the movie 40 Days and 40 Nights we journey through the season of Lent with Josh Hartnett as he attempts to give up sex as his Lenten penance. Now that we have entered the Lenten season, I thought I would take you through my own personal journey….and no, I am not giving up sex!!!

The priest this morning on EWTN said that doing penance was a good thing because it brings us closer to Jesus—you suffer as He suffered. You are faced with temptation as He faced temptation, and that hopefully, you as the penitent will also do as Jesus and avoid the said temptation.

In doing penance, you are encouraged to “give alms”—they call it almsgiving—or performing works of mercy or charity. Many priest try to show parishioners a positive approach and consider not what you are giving up but what you are doing to help others. Almsgiving is not always thought of as giving money, although I am sure we could all come up with many needy organizations or groups. As the priest put it this morning, you can give of your time and your talents as well as your treasure. He made the following suggestions, which led me to decide what to “give up” for Lent.

Instead of listening to music, opt for quiet time. It will offer more opportunity for prayer.
Instead of watching TV so much, turn it off for a while and play games with your children, read, or talk with your spouse.
Offer up fasting as a form of prayer. Deny yourself certain pleasures during the season of Lent. Use the time of temptation as a time to call on the Lord for help in avoided the temptation. This might just lead to you calling on him in all things great and small.

For my penance, I have chosen to not turn on the radio, especially in times when I know a quiet mind would pray…like when I do the dishes; in the car, when I am driving, especially with my kids in the car…it will foster a time for us to share before the second race of home life starts. Now, anyone who knows me knows that this is a difficult feat. I love music!

In addition to music, I have chosen to move away from the TV. Not tune it out completely, but if there is something that needs to be done, shut it off. If there is no one to watch it, but me, then just don’t turn it on in the morning. I used to wake up in complete silence and spend my morning that way. I noticed the way the sun came in the window and how the birds sang as the day broke. When was the last time you heard that? Most of the time I hear Special Agent Oso or Fox 6 News. With the TV off, I can read to my kids and encourage quiet and peacefulness in their minds, as well as mine.

Finally, my last big jump: Just for Lent, I am planning to cut out all carbonated beverages. Can I tell you how hard this is going to be??? I love Coke and DP. Switching off the bubbles will help my body feel better. It will give me an opportunity to drink more water. I might even lose weight!!! Just thinking that I will be able to drink them again one day makes it easier for me not to pick one up today. Who knows? At the end of 40 days, I may not want one at all!

Join me on my journey. Pray for me! Peace be with you!!!
Miranda

2 comments:

BASSakward Tales said...

SISTER - you mean serious business...i like the quiet time without radio and the tv...but the carbonated beverages....oh my...i will be in tuscaloosa at the place with the bars on the windows...seriously...i think my penance will be no concentrated sugar...you would think as a diabetic this would be off limits anyway...but it is very difficult...i will join you in this...

GIRL RAISED IN THE SOUTH said...

Join me, and we will support each other. It has been very hard, but whenever I feel tempted, I pray!