And so on May 29, 2014, we gathered together a small group of family and friends. We stood before Probate Judge Alice Martin and all our witnesses and vowed to love, honor, serve and protect each other.
JJ AND MJ
Our guests included members of my family including my parents and my wonderful grandparents Harsel and Celestine Durham. His son AJ and niece Isis were both in attendance with my girls Erin and Meghan. Several ladies from the office came and my friend Maria also came over from her office at DHR.
Judge Martin did a beautiful ceremony and my stepfather Dave Roesler blessed our union with a thoughtful prayer, then led us in the Our Father.
I remember feeling like I was going everywhere all at once. I was so nervous. Even after JJ didn't run away before the ceremony started, even though he had the chance, even though I was surrounded by all my closest friends and relatives, I was nervous. But the more Judge Martin talked about our vows to take care of each other and love each other and the more JJ looked in my eyes and rubbed the backs of my hands with his thumbs, the more centered I became. By the time she pronounced us Mr. and Mrs. John Jacks, I was relieved to be holding my best friend's hand for life and longer. Finally I regained my composure.
Now to ask about the kiss...John you may kiss your bride...bride...I like the sound of that. I was even afraid to kiss him with church tongue!!! He has never been one to show off in public, so I didn't want to run the risk of receiving rejection in front of all those people.
After the ceremony we all went to a local restaurant run by a family friend, Linda Harness. Linda and her crew at Prime pulled out all the stops for us on our special day. It was wonderful to have everyone gathered around the table together. AJ said it reminded him of Duck Dynasty to have everyone represented at one table. He was right.
Later we went to visit my grandmother in the nursing home. Mama Jo was at NHC for rehab for a few weeks, and it was regrettable that Daddy could not break her out to come to the wedding. She was delighted to see us, and as a token, I gave her my bridal bouquet. Made her day and mine too!


No comments:
Post a Comment