Friday, January 10, 2014

Life in a College Town....part two

Last year I spoke of life in a college town and living in an apartment under those I called the Duke Boys. Each year as leases expire, old students move away and new one ones come in. This year enter the Steak House Boys. Known as such by their names: Ryan and Logan. Life is different under the new tenants....

Apartment life  suc....no let's be more mature...blo....no that's still not it. Let me put it this way: if you are 30something with a job and two kids you don't want to be awakened by some college freshman and his girlfriend in a repeat performance of the scene from Secret of My Success.  I feel as if I should have my conductor's wand poised on my nightstand and ready for action.

I'm thankful for the headphones JJ got me as a late Christmas present. All the kids got super-cool stereo quality headphones, and we felt left out, so he got us some too. So glad to have them tonight!

So two hours later as my noisy neighbors slumber, I am now restless. It's that point in the evening/morning when your eyes burn so much they water.With temps in the teens the apartment is too cold to stir around and do chores, and I really don't want to run the risk of waking up the girls. So after a tour of facebook, two games of Solitare a couple of hours with 80s Movie Montage on iheartradio, and a moment to update my grocery list, I sit here with the Cranberries " Lingering" while I wait for sleep to return.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Kspj3OO0s (click here to Linger)

I long for life in the country: stars hang overhead, dogs bark in the distance, an owl is on his perch for the evening, and the deer roam in the backyard. I count the days when I can reach that again. Sure I will have to worry with frozen pipes and cutting grass and weed-eating and curb appeal, but I will have the added benefit of a warm sweetie to snuggle next to at night and wake up to in the morning.  I will have someone with me to ward off the bad dreams...or at least to comfort me after they come.

And after an episode of Sex in the City, the phone dinged. JJ had received my text from earlier when he got up to "handle business" in the night. He texted me a response to my message, and when he realized I was still up, he called. We sat up in the night watching the Weather Channel and infomercials until we could both fall asleep again. 

No comments: