In high school I had several guy friends. Not something girls usually do, but I felt like I could be myself around them, and they were themselves around me. Girls are so...mean. You saw the movie; you know. There were about five of them that will always hold a special place in my heart no matter where they go or what they do. I would come at any time if they were in need, and they would do their best to help me if the tables were turned.
During the past year I have watched two of my childhood friends grow from Boys to Men. Each one of them had to say good-bye to their fathers, the leader and strong-hold of their families.
Each one of my friends were typical Southern boys growing up. You know the kind. Into everything when their mamas weren't looking...angels when she was. Each one of them looked to their fathers for advice when they needed it, and took his words to heart. They respected their fathers. They counted on their fathers. Too soon, they buried their fathers.
I watched both young boys as they graduated from high school, moved on to manly pursuits and then marry and have children of their own. While I don't see them often, I know our bond of youthfull friendship remains strong. When the calls came that they were suffering loss, I was there, without hesitation.
I watch my friends of youth as they blossomed into men before my eyes. Assuming the role of leader in the family and taking over the care of their mothers. Very heroic. Very strong. Maybe inside they too were crying. Maybe inside they too felt like little lost boys. They did not show it. They did not go on drinking binges, quit their jobs and behave like spoiled children.
In the days and weeks to come, the first one had to help his family and himself cope with first holidays without his dad, troubles that insued that dad would normally handle, and his own job, responsibilites and role as father. I am sure there were many times when he looked to heaven and asked his dad for help.
The next one will do the same. While I can't be there to support them in person, I love them both in my heart. My heart grieves with their families. I pray for them often and offer words of support when I can.
I am proud of my boys. Proud of the strength of character they show, the love in their hearts and there determination to do the right thing. It is tough in this world. My hat is off to both of them and the moms and dads that raised them into true Southern Gentlemen.
I carry with me one lesson after watching them both...boys will be boys, but men...men will be MEN.
Love to both of you!
No comments:
Post a Comment