My good friend from college, d$, bought me a box of 64 Crayola Crayons in 1993. It was our freshman year at TSU, and we were both in journalism class together. The crayons that he bought me were an anniversary edition,so they came in a tin box that was decorative, and well, colorful. In my family I know the value of a tin box...the cookies go in that at Christmas time.
Do you know I still have that tin box? It carried me through divorce and the hard times that followed. I bought a coloring book in 2001 when I was going through that hard time. I still have that coloring book. I used those crayons to color in it.
I would love to say that those crayons have lasted the span of 18 years, but they have not. The box is tucked safely in my room, waiting for a new box of crayons.
My good friend, d$? Yeah he's still here too. He is not too far away and married to a woman he refers to as Lovely. I love that about him. He blogs on everyday events and random thoughts. I love reading those.
Whenever I hear an 80s song, I think of him. There is one song, however, that will stop me in my tracks when I hear it. I am paralyzed as tears stream down my face remembering the friendship that was/is so cherished. I don't have time to put a clip on here, but it is The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face by Roberta Flack.
Maybe in his summer of blogging, he will put a clip on his page for me...he has more time to figure that stuff out than I do. For now, just the thought of the song will do me. And the memories I share with a good friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment