Monday, May 18, 2009

Who are the people in your neighborhood?


By the title of my blog site, you might think that I would be writing about the front lines of the T-ball field. Actually, my terminal in my office is located on what is called "the line" and sometimes it is truly the front lines of the motor vehicle division. I don't know why it is, but tag clerks are given such a bad rap for being rude and unhelpful. Some comment was once made about having the power to control someone's whole day, schedule, something. Maybe one day I will give tips on what to expect in the tag office and what to do to help make your trip better, but today is not that day.
In the tag office, as a County employee for a government agency, I have a chance to meet many people. Nothing like being a ticket agent at an international airport, like my dad was for years, but still a chance to meet people. I have met Lucy Baxley, Mike Rogers, Bob Riley, Twinkle Andress. I have even shaken hands with Don Siegleman, and he is every bit of a weasel as he looks...you know how you can tell a man by his handshake.
Today was most fun. I came in from lunch and started waiting on customers. I had noticed a man in a sweaty t-shirt, with shaggy hair. He was smiling. He struck me as different because he was very friendly looking and looked right at everyone who made eye contact and SMILED AND NODDED HIS HEAD. Most people just remain behind their sunglasses or on the phone--btw, horrible tag line ettiquette. Even when you make eye contact with them, they may nod or say hello, but never smile. And not just any smile. A smile that goes all the way up their faces to their EYES! Look next time for that kind of smile. The clerk next to me called on him. I had another couple at my terminal.
Our phone clerk came out with a paper to show me. Trying to be covert as if to ask me a question about the words on the paper, she whispered to me..."That is Rick Bragg!" PhePhe went on to say that she loved RB. She couldn't believe he was here.
I had never seen RB, and I didn't recognize him, so I was looking all over for him. She told me he was right there at Gingerale's terminal. And what was RB doing? Smiling all the way up to his eyes! Gingerale didn't even know anything was going on.
Before today, I had heard of RB, but I had not personally read any of his books. I knew he was an author. I knew he was a popular author, but I didn't know he was from Piedmont...stay tuned for Piedmont stories..., and I had no idea what he looked like.
He looks like any other guy from norther Calhoun County on a warm day. Maybe he was working in his yard and noticed his tag was expired, or he just bought a utility trailer from someone and needed to put a tag on it...yes, by law you are supposed to tag your trailer, even if you only haul your lawnmower on it. Little can you tell by his appearance that his is a pulitzer prize winning writer...big biz to someone who took jouralism in college. His most known accomplisments to me are All Over but the Shoutin' and I Am a Soldier Too: The Jessica Lynch Story.

1 comment:

Gin said...

I can't believe I didn't know who he was. I do recognize the name now.