Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Welcome to the hen party

Normally at "Confessions" I try to write about uplifting or fun topics. Today is not one of those days. I have had a time trying to decide whether or not to pull my kids out of daycare for the summer. They hate their day care. Meghan makes up illnesses and fakes throwing up to try to keep from going. It is really quite humorous. In the fall, Erin will start Kindergarten and Meghan will start pre-school at Westwood Wee Care. I am very excited about both changes in our lives. They will be good for all of us.

I decided to pull them out at the beginning of the summer to give us a little break financially and to give them some rest before starting the new rigorous routine. If their daddy doesn't ruin them, it will be a good move. For all the positive reasons, I still had my doubts until...

I am on a mini vacation this week. It started on Friday, and I had to go in on Monday, but I am off Tuesday and Wednesday. I have been taking the kids late to school because I haven't wanted to get up early in the morning. I have had them there every day by 9am, as the policy requires. I have picked them up near 5 every afternoon, but not after 5:30, as the policy requires. On Friday I dropped my kids off and the first thing one of the staff says is, "Well I thought we were going to get a break!"

Normally, this comment would blow past someone, but she says this every time I bring them in after 7:30. And what does she mean "a break"? Are my kids that much trouble? They never tell me about anything they are doing wrong. No wonder my kids don't like going there, if they feel they are unwanted. And what does she mean "break"? Like I am going to pay her to sit around all day? At other places we have taken our kids in the past, they have welcomed my children with love and hugs. If they were out sick, they were missed and were told so. No wonder they don't like it!

The second worker there started in on her dissertation about how if she lived in O-town, where I live, she wouldn't drive all the way to A-town just to drop kids off at school. She just wouldn't make the drive. (I have to make this drive everyday. I can't by milk without making this drive, so I'm sure I can make it every once in a while when I don't work...I'm sure I can find something I need in town!)

I turned in my two-week notice to them yesterday. Friday's perfomance just sealed the deal for me. The director was upset...I thought she was made of stone. She wondered if it was because of her price hike...while I admit, it did play a factor, it wasn't the deciding moment. She wondered if it was because of Meghan's potty training. Well, when your nearly potty trained three year old goes back to full time pull-ups, it is frustrating. I told her I was trying a different approach, but that was not it either. I figure if I tell her about her co-workers, she will just take up for them. They've been friends for years. I let sleeping dogs lie. And my name was MUD when I picked the kids up yesterday. You should have seen the looks!

This morning it was more of the same. But the one lady who started it all, she always has an opinion on everything...trying to start trouble is what I think...she wanted to know what was going on with my schedule and why I was not bringing my kids at the usual time. "Are you not at work?" Far be it from me to start the whole thing over, I just politely said that I was not, and went on to my car. I ignored her busy body intrigues (as they are called in one of my favorite movies) and kept on going. Would you not have done the same?

As for the director, I would gladly answer any question she has, but she is not asking them. For now, I'll just keep it here between us. Sorry to cackle on and on, but what are sounding boards for?

1 comment:

Gin said...

I can't believe they acted that way. It's a good thing you already had new arrangements made. I feel for you on this one...it made me mad to read what you went through. I guess this is the type of thing I have to look forward to in the future. See you Friday!!