I'm not about to name a laundry list of new resolutions for this year. Isn't that so cliche? I think I will stick to saying that this year is going to be about change.
I used to be so organized. The Fly Lady came to my house on a weekly basis, and I had things so together. I lost track of keeping it together when I moved the first time, and then I lost track of it all together with the second move. Finally after two years, I can say I am settled, and it is time. And the Fly Lady comes this weekend. I hope everyone is ready. This week: Zone 1 -- The Living Room.
I have decided to start building a better body. My statement for years is to work on being healthier in the new year: adding exercise, drinking water, portion sizes at meal times. It seems now to be the trend in 2016 to not strive for a goal of 20 pounds or to fit size 6 jeans, but to simply seek a healthier lifestyle. I am years before my time. Also, the kids and I have decided to do a 5k marathon this summer. Erin and I will begin training this week to get her physically back in shape for softball, and we will start walking, dancing or whatever we can to build our bodies up to the next level physically. In a unique turn, JJ also has decided to rejoin the fire department with the idea in mind that he will start making use of the equipment there to get back into shape...and they have a treadmill!
This week at work I am training a new employee, so things are a little bit busy there, and I am striving to do a better job at her training than I did with the last girl I trained, not that I did bad with Christi, but I want to do better every time.
I signed up to be a lector at church this year. I love proclaiming the word of God, which is what it is called...in simple words I am reading from scripture during the mass service. I love doing it though. It is just a moment in time where I can use my serious person, big girl voice...I can apply all those things I learned in speech class at Troy, and share the word of God with my fellow parishioners. Yesterday was my one and only day on the schedule in three months for me to be able to do it. I came back from Huntsville a day early and showed up at church 45 minutes early just to make sure I was there. I was worried that I would mess up. I was afraid I wouldn't sound good or I would sneeze at the microphone...or any number of things would go wrong. I got up and read my passage, and I felt like I used my big girl voice, but I felt that it sounded like mean lady, instead of a friend sharing with friends. After church, I received my confirmation: Father told me that I gave a "beautiful reading" and was I new at church? REALLY? I had been attending there for two years and had attended for several years prior to moving to Jacksonville, and I had been teaching in the Sunday School, and he finally saw me for the first time....I hope he will see me again...I sometimes feel as if I am a ghost figure at church. I was touched by the fact that he thought my reading was good. I really want things I do at church to be thought of as good or great, to know that I make a difference to some one...accolades and acclaim don't mean much to me; I don't need awards or prizes, but when someone pulls me aside and tells me I am doing a good job, I love to hear it. And so, my one and only time to be a lector is done, and I hope to serve my church in other ways...like singing in the choir and continuing on with our Sunday School class.
Finally, I strive to have some me time in the new year. I have so many books that I want to read. I have what I call Winter Books, like Little Women, and then there are my Irish Books, such as Fire and Ice, then there is Killing Reagan. I just don't know how to fit it all in. Still looking for that burst of energy to come...you know the one where I go to sleep at ten or eleven after having a full night, as opposed to going to sleep at 8 on the couch as soon as supper is over.
I am so blessed to still have my grandparents. I plan to take more time to spend with them this year for as long as I can.
And lastly, I have rekindled a relationship with a girlfriend from long past. She and I were very close at one time. Although she is ten years my senior, we have always had a strong bond. My friendship with Brittany hit a rocky spot in October. While we did things girls did, and I loved being a part of that, I noticed more and more that she was using me...I began to wonder whether or not we had ever been friends to begin with, or was I just a friend of convenience. And so we speak at work, but are no longer close. Out of self-preservation, I had to build the wall. And through Stephanie's business, we have come close to each other again. We speak through facebook, and I will visit her periodically. Come to find out, we go to the same nail salon. I am hoping we can meet up again soon there for pedis and maybe a fling at the OG, our favorite dinner spot. Ah well, we shall see.
At night when JJ is playing on the game and I am left to myself for several hours and into the late night, I combat the loneliness by reading, if I am awake or blogging, and every once in a while, I will sneak in a Rosary. I say a prayer for the Lord to guard my heart against evil, and I wait in hope for that friend that will come and fill the void.
St Joseph, pray for us.
No comments:
Post a Comment