Thursday, June 13, 2013

Serve. Honor. Protect. Love.

There are times in your life when you walk through the bowels of hell.  Somehow you make it out...but you are somewhat scarred from the experience. Most of the time, you do overcome the scars, but the healing process takes time.
I recently went through my own trial. The most unexpected person was there at the other end to help me through the healing process...
Sometimes you make your own mistakes. We all have broken halos. It is the job of the one who loves you to forgive you of those mistakes.
It is both of your duties to prove that you will not allow the other to make that journey on the dark side again. But because of the scars you carry, you also carry fear and doubt.
I have been shown more times than I can name in the last several months that JJ does love me. He has proven himself over and over. Coming home to be with me when my best friend died was just one way to show that he wants to walk me through the healing process and that he will be there holding me every step of the way.
Similarly in the last week, he has shown time and again that he will not allow anything to come between us. And tonight, it was my turn.
Because of the hours he works, JJ worries that I will find others to keep me company. I can see the rationale for this fear. He has seen it many times in the past with others...why would I be any different?
But I reminded him of one thing: Ain't nobody got time for that!
Many people look their whole lives for what we have and never find it. I have seen it all around me and I have never had it myself. In talking this evening we realized that people end up cheating on their spouses because they didn't have what we have to start with. They don't make each other a priority. WE DO. We've noticed that it is a pattern that we see in truly happy couples everywhere...they make each other a priority.
As my grandmother always says: Idol hands are the devil's workshop. If you are busy with laundry, sweeping, cleaning, kids, talking to him when he is away, then you don't have time to find someone to cheat with. When the priorities are straight, then trouble is never allowed to darken the door.
JJ is my very best friend. We met for the first time 25 years ago. We went to our first school dance together. He gave me roses for Valentine's Day...in the 8th grade!!!! Over time we lost contact with each other but that was God's time to work on us and make us the people we are today. We ran into each other again and grew closer than ever. We share everything. We are building a future. We have what we have always looked for in a relationship...and I am not about to give it up by looking around.
From the beginning my stance has been this: The job he works is important. It is my responsibility, duty, ect. to honor him while he is away by staying faithful and taking care of business.
Our favorite saying is that I am holding down the home office. We protect each other from the harm that comes toward us. We serve each other daily in the little things we do...and even the big things. We love each other like we have never loved before.

No comments: