Monday, December 17, 2012

MIRACLES OF CHRISTMAS

If you ask me whether or not I believe in Santa Claus, I am going to say yes.

Saint Nicholas lived hundreds of years ago as a regular Joe guy just like anyone in your neighborhood.  The thing that set Nicholas apart from others was that he had a generous heart and gave to those who were in need...we all do that, right?  Nick was a bit different in that he wished to remain anonymous.

Jesus wants us to give to those in need, but not to give expecting fame or glory.  That was Nicholas's whole mission...to give in secret.

Over time, Saint Nicholas's gift-giving was equated with Santa Claus, the jolly old elf who sneaks into your home at night on Christmas Eve and leaves presents for good boys and girls.  The idea is still the same to me...Santa Claus has always represented the Spirit of Christmas, the heart of giving...and Christmas has always been the time for miracles.

Christmas miracles they call them. Hallmark movies. Lifetime Original Holiday movies...they all portray some Christmas miracle, some wish being granted in time for the holidays.


Even Susan in Miracle on 34th Street asked for something that you just wouldn't think Santa Claus couldn't deliver. Her wish involved the lives of others. Hearts of others had to change in order for her wish to come true. Santa Claus can't make people change their hearts just to grant a little girl her wish.  Surely, it was a win-win situation for all involved, but did Santa really have that power?
My daughter Erin has asked Santa to bring back her dogs Cheyenne and Rowdy. Can Santa really reproduce these two animals from her past? You and I both know that it won't happen.

Then there is my own wish...what I wish is similarly difficult. In reality I know that Santa Claus can't just make situations different in order that my wish be granted. My wish involves hearts and minds and lives of other people. I can't leave one man...myth or legend...responsible for that.

Then for me to say that Santa can't deliver on my wish means that I don't believe in Santa Claus...and if I don't believe in Santa Claus, does that mean that I have given up on the Spirit of Christmas and Christmas miracles?

        "Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to."

No comments: