December 3, 2012
I took the girls to see the Nutcracker ballet yesterday. What
started as a birthday gift to Meghan three years ago has turned into a yearly
tradition. This year even We had a marvelous time. I thoroughly enjoy the Nutcracker. The costumes are so colorful and beautiful. Some of my favorite scenes are the party scene at the beginning, the Snowflake dance, the Waltz of the Flowers and the final dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy and her Cavalier. I especially think that the Sugar Plum Fairy’s dress is divine, and I would love to make a top to wear that has jewels on it like hers…not that it would look as good on me.
The Nutcracker for me began as bittersweet. JJ had said
earlier in the summer that he would love to go with us to the ballet. I thought
he was going on, but he has an entire plastic tub of Nutcracker dolls. Despite
the loss I felt, I was able to put it all aside and enjoy the ballet with my
children.
I had always wondered why people cried at the ballet. It’s
people dancing on stage to music…there are no words. What is there to cry
about? The Waltz of the Flowers was absolutely beautiful. So artistic in it’s
form, the ballerinas were so graceful…was it because there were so many of
them? Numbers are impressive. They were
beautiful spinning and whirling and moving across the stage in exquisite
patterns. Maybe they set me up
emotionally for what was to follow…the Sugar Plum Fairy.
When the Sugar Plum Fairy danced out with her Cavalier, it
was a beautiful graceful dance, but soon it became an emotional meeting of two
lovers. He let her shine and show her beauty. He supported her in her role as
Queen of the Land of the Sweets. She allowed him to support her with his
strength and wisdom. Together they made the perfect picture of a couple who
loves each other and supports each other through the hard times. He was always
her valiant support, and she was always his shining star. Almost the picture-in-art of Ephesians 5. I longed for
the pairing of the couple that I once knew. I cried. It was then that I
understood.
While yesterday was not a traditional start to the season of
Advent, it was the beginning of the journey that will bring me to joy and help
me to find hope again.
No comments:
Post a Comment