Sunday, August 12, 2012

SPECIAL PEOPLE

It takes all kinds to run the world.

You’ve heard that before. Usually it is a sarcastic remark that comes after some full moon crazy person has just left the office, and it is usually followed with the traditional Southern “bless their hearts.”

At this moment, however, I am referring to the special people it takes to respond to emergency calls.  First responders they are called for a reason.

When I was in elementary school I got squeamish during the health lesson. I liked to have never made it through that child birth video they show in high school. I was just as queasy in college health class. When I had my first baby I refused to “look” in the mirror. There are some things that can just be left to the imagination.

If you need, a band-aid I can assist you. If you throw up, I can clean it up. If you are scared of needles and need me to hold your hand while you are giving blood, I can do that. I have a limit to my level of gross.

I don’t watch TLC shows on emergency surgeries. ER and Grey’s Anatomy were never my favorite TV shows, despite how much I think George Clooney and Patrick Dempsey are hot.

It takes all kinds. There are people who can design tall buildings, there are people who can change the oil in your car, there are people who can break something down to unrecognizable and put it back together like new. There are people who can read music, and there are people who can hear a song one time and play it back. There are people who can get along with everyone, and there are people who can diffuse any dangerous situation. Then there are those who can walk face first into a flaming building and never flinch. 

It’s this kind of cowboyesque people that I want to mention here.  First responders are special in that they can swallow their fear in the need for courage when it matters most. They can walk up on an accident scene and put all the squeamish feelings aside, if they even have any, and they can get the job done. Gross things don’t bother them; they are part of the job. First aid is their business, safety at all cost their middle name.

Once it was mentioned to me that I would not make a good Volunteer (fireman) because of the things that turn my stomach. Once a person even seemed to take offense because I did not give thought to volunteering.  My response to both these precious people was this: “Firemen (volunteers and first responders in general) are special people.” I don’t dare put myself in their category. I am not in their brotherhood, but I support it wholeheartedly.

 These first responders have my respect. They have my support, my encouragement, my gratitude.
Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

No comments: