Tuesday, November 30, 2010

ADVENT DAY 3

This week has turned out to be an interesting one so far.
The Lighting Ceremony went very well. It was kind of long-winded, but the Bible passage to read was long. We lit the Advent candle on the wreath in thoughts of HOPE. I explained the Advent wreath as a reminder each Advent that we are to prepare our hearts for the HOPE that Jesus brings each Christmas and the HOPE that we should have in reuniting with him in heaven. The evergreen on the wreath and on our tree are signs of God's promise to be with us Always. The lights on our tree remind us that Jesus is the light of the world. We went outside to light the lights on the front of our house as a statement to those who pass by that Jesus' light lives within our walls.

Irony strikes. Someone I have known from childhood, a mutual friend of a friend, had her house destroyed by fire yesterday. Why does this always seem to happen at Christmas? Riding home from a wonderful Christmas Eve celebration as a child, I remember seeing Kevin D's house burned to the ground. I don't know if he will ever know the impact of seeing his house in ashes had on me. It has been my biggest fear ever since--to come home and find my house in ashes...It seems that the FIRE MONSTER and other horrific tragedies wait until right at Christmas time to happen. WHY??
One can only guess that there is some lesson God has in store for us/the person HE allows it to happen to. Perhaps a reminder that it is better to have the people you love still with you and unharmed than to have only the remainder of the stuff in their room.
I can not imagine what KT is feeling right now. She has five children. She is my age. She and her husband are NICE PEOPLE who love the Lord! There has to be something to this more than a tragedy.
One of the things about Advent is to prepare our hearts for the coming of Christ by doing something that would be pleasing to God. What better thing would be to please God than share our good fortune with others?
Irony? KT is MY SIZE!!! Not one of my friends is my exact size. I can't share clothes with any of them. There may be a lesson in here for more than just KT and her family. There may be a lesson in here for me.
Right now they need EVERYTHING. As I looked around my bedroom while I put on my make-up and get my work clothes on, I thought "KT needs this. I'll bet KT doesn't have one of these." As I put my dishes in the dishwasher this morning, I thought, "KT will need dishes."
I look forward to God claiming Victory in this tragedy. I look forward to seeing God glorified in some way in this seemingly horrible mess.
You may not be in a place where you can give. But you have more to give than you might think. Give your talent, if you have no treasure. Give your time, if you have no talent...I assure you God has given us all some of each. Give, most of all your supportive prayers. Ask God to show you where to give it.
If you need information on KT and her family, please contact me. I can get information to you.
Peace and Love!

No comments: