Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My Dad Turned 60 and other things





For those of you who know my dad, you know that he purchased a Harley this year. Those of you who know me really well know that he "dropped" his Harley soon after he bought it. He is back in the saddle, as they say, and this November we celebrated his 60th birthday. We Carters are proud of our longevity...his mom is 80, and her mom lived to see 105!

Holidays at 659 go on for a while. They start on Thanksgiving Weekend, which drives my husband crazy! The last few years we have gone to my mom's for Thanksgiving Dinner. This year we took big brother James with us, and all the kids, including the big ones played the Wii. Erin really enjoyed playing baseball. After we get home from Mom's, the Friday after is spend putting up our tree, complete with train tracks and running train.


Our cat Moses has decided to make one of the branches his home, much to my dismay!

Meghan had a Christmas Program at her school this year...they sang Frosty the Snowman. I went back to brush her hair before the show, and she was begging for me to hold her. I was concerned that she would have stage fright and not be able to perform. All the kids in her group were concerned that one of their classmates wasn't there--Ty. By the time the show started, Ty had shown up, and Meghan and Ty owned the whole program. It was a wonderful treat to watch all the kids dance and sing on the stage.

As the season winds down and people begin their last minute rushing around, it is my time to settle in for reflection and enjoyment. I try to read A Christmas Carol between the beginning of Advent and Christmas, and I read the Christmas story from Luke to my kids at least once if not more. Drinking Peppermint Mocha coffee with whip cream and a blanket while sitting on my sofa gazing into my Christmas tree is one of my favorite things to do. I don't feel obligated to attend everything, but I do feel obligated to bake cookies with my best friend...even if they don't look so great. I do feel obligated to spend time with my precious family. I do feel obligated to visit Jesus in Church and stay awhile, and I especially feel obligated to life each of you up in prayer!
Merry Christmas!
















1 comment:

Gin said...

my kitty loves the tree too...precious