
Usually by this time every year, my tree is overflowing with gifts. As in my last post, I was looking for a Christmas miracle. And one came! Did you doubt it? But it didn't take the form one might expect. It began the day that I watched Dr. Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Regardless of how much the Grinch stole from Whoville that night, the Whos down in Whoville still woke up and gathered around their great tree and sang "Welcome Christmas." It dawned on me that I didn't need a bunch of gifts piled under my tree. What ever I could muster to give my children this year would be fine because on Christmas morning it would still be Christmas---JESUS' BIRTHDAY. A friend of mine who is fighting in Iraq for my freedom summed it all up in this statement..."No matter whether or not Auburn wins on Saturday, I am still going to wear my Auburn tie to church on Sunday. I will still be a fan." What perspective...Thank you, Kevin, and God's grace and mercy go with you and bring you home safe and soon!
Shortly after this realization, my mom gave me enough money to cover gifts for my kids. I didn't know
how I would pay her back, but I was thankful to have the money. Erin really wanted a Little Owen made by Lee Middleton. She usually doesn't ask for dolls, so I thought this was a very important gift to be sure Santa had in his sleigh. The local distributor called the main company and the doll was out of stock. My angel, Miss Bonnie, at my office called into a distributer that I didn't know about in Jvlle. Her husband went and picked up Little Owen, and Miss Bonnie delivered it personally to Santa's sleigh! Then my friend Ginger, after hearing that Erin asked Santa Claus for these things called Blendy Penz, went to the store and picked some up for her!The more the season wears on, the more of God's miracles I see, and the more of my prayers
are answered. You see it in the little things. Like when Meghan didn't throw up at her Christmas program, but she actually went on stage and had a great time. Then my CHRISTMAS BONUS came in...now in my line of work, the Christmas bonus is a gift that doesn't come around very often, so you don't expect it. With the money from it I was able to pay my mom back and buy a few small gifts for my sister and her family, which before was impossible. The point is that I didn't get down about not being able to do these things, I just resolved myself to accepting it and believing that everything would work out...even if part of that working out didn't involve actually buying presents.Then my friend Stephanie sent me this video link that is on You Tube. It is called the Advent Conspiracy: Spend Less, Worship More. It completely reaffirmed my new belief about Christmas...that it is not the amount you spend or the number of gifts piled under your tree that show you know how to keep Christmas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65At9FOluR
I haven't mastered the art of adding video to my blog, even though it seems like it should be easy. Please check it out if you can't follow the link. Between this video on and the message that seems to ring true in the Charlie Brown Christmas Special,
A Christmas Carol, and the Penguin Smack letter that I received in my email...coming soon...I now will not allow others to make me feel bad when I give my kids the best I can and the best there is...love and quality time that is not always wrapped in a package with a bow, but comes from loving them unconditionally and showing them how to love others as if Jesus himself was standing there.
A Christmas Carol, and the Penguin Smack letter that I received in my email...coming soon...I now will not allow others to make me feel bad when I give my kids the best I can and the best there is...love and quality time that is not always wrapped in a package with a bow, but comes from loving them unconditionally and showing them how to love others as if Jesus himself was standing there.
1 comment:
love the post...love the layout...love you..love the kids...love your spirit
Post a Comment