Monday, February 1, 2016

Fly Lady Savvy

 This year began with me deciding that I was going to pull it all together.  After two years of living here on the Ridge, I decided that it was time to bring Fly Lady to the Manor.  In my last post I shared pictures of the work I did in the kitchen. The work did not stop on the Saturday.  I am so proud to say that I have adopted the Fly Lady mentality that takes you day to day. I'm baby-stepping through each week. The daily emails from the Fly Lady herself really help me to get organized.

Zone 3 I worked in my bedroom. The goal is to first declutter the area. I have been waking up on Saturdays with headaches each week this month, but I am working through them. Zone 2 took me the weekend to complete, but I worked in increments of time on and off while I did other tasks around the house. By the time I reached Zone 4, the girls' room, I had developed a routine!

Fly Lady's whole program is about routines.  What you do in the evening sets you up for what you can do the next morning. Routines get you organized. I have a launch pad now so I can't lose my keys or my phone...or my purse! Each evening I check my calendar, lay my clothes out...I make my coffee! The little routines that I keep up with each day have actually afforded me time to work out!!!  The basic weekly plan that I have set out allows me a few minutes each night to get a chore done, and then I can spend time with my main squeeze.

The girls' room is a daunting task.  I don't feel like I should do the Mommee Bail Out Program again where I clean their room for them, so I finally decided to help them baby step through their clutter.  I assigned them each a task for today, and had them get it done before I got home from work.  I came home and worked in my closet for five minutes while the oven was heating, and we have a trash bag full of clothes and shoes to donate! It may take them until spring break to get their room decluttered, but it didn't get that way overnight, so it won't be fixed overnight.

The most important thing I have the girls working on is their own routine.  The Daily Five, I call it.  They have five  tasks that they are responsible for each day. The simple tasks have them cleaning up behind themselves and keeping the house looking neat. It is these little things that I don't have to worry about when I get home, so I can go right into my night routine!

Tomorrow's dinner is already thought of. There is a menu board on the fridge that holds a list of several dinner options. The family has but to choose from them. The groceries are in the kitchen.  The coffee is ready and will be waiting on me in the morning when I get out of bed. My clothes are hung in the bathroom. My items are in the launch pad. I will take my lunch tomorrow, and I won't forget it.

Each of my little routines helps the house look neat when I go to bed. I am no longer worried about people coming to visit. I have time for things that interest me. I have time to rest. I can get my "chores" done in a short period of time, and it no longer takes me all day!

 Happiness starts with me. I am happier when things are organized.  My family is happier when things are organized. Our lives go easier when things are organized. My Fly Lady lifestyle is to thank.



No comments: